This study will rigorously evaluate the clinical and cost effectiveness and potential for “real-world” implementation of an innovative intervention that integrates a behavioral weight loss program and a collaborative stepped care program for depression, incorporates conventional clinic- and home-based modes of care delivery (e.g., office visits plus phone consults and take-home DVD), and leverages low-cost, wide-reach health information technologies (e.g., Web, secure email, and mobile texting).
Given its focus on transforming primary care management of obesity and depression and common cardiometabolic risk factors to evidence-based, patient-centered care, as well as the likely scalability of the proposed intervention, the study has high potential for significant clinical and public health impact.
Subaward PIs are:
- Wayne Katon, MD, University of Washington;
- Kaye Kramer, DrPH, University of Pittsburgh;
- Veronica Yank, MD, Stanford University of Medicine.
- Jeremy Goldhaber-Fiebert, PhD, Stanford University School of Medicine
- Mark Snowden, MD, University of Washington.
- Megan Lewis, PhD, RTI International, is Consulting Co-Investigator
- Philip Lavori, PhD, serves as Consultant.
PAMF physician advisers are:
- Bahar Aghighi, M.D., FACE, Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism
- Meg Durbin, M.D., Regional Vice President, Care Coordination, Peninsula Coastal Region, Sutter Health
- Edward Yu, M.D., Family Medicine, Medical Director for Quality
Lenard Lesser, M.D., MSHS, serves as consulting investigator.
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
A Patient-Centered Strategy for Improving Diabetes Prevention in Urban American Indians.
Managing Cardiometabolic Disease in Primary Care
Investigators: J.B. Jones, PhD, MBA, Xiaowei (Sherry) Yan, PhD, MS
Culturally Adapted DPP [Diabetes Prevention Program] Intervention for Mexican Americans in Primary Care: An RCT [randomized controlled trial]
Strength Training Regimen for Normal Weight Diabetics (STRONG-D) Study
New Weigh of Life Program Evaluation
eCMP (electronic Cardiometabolic Program)
Investigator: Kristen M.J. Azar, R.N., BSN, MSN/MPH
Evaluation of Chronic Care Transformation at PAMF
Investigator: Cheryl Stults, Ph.D.