Minimum Requirements to be a Volunteer
- Volunteer must be at least 18 years of age.
- Volunteers agree to serve as a volunteer for a minimum period of 3 hours per week for 100 hours from the date service is started.
- Volunteers must be able to pass a criminal background check. Sutter Medical Center, Sacramento requires background checks for all employees and volunteers. The purpose of the background check process is to identify any felony or related misdemeanor criminal convictions that an individual may have. Applicants will be asked to complete a background check.
- Employee Health Clearance — Certain immunizations required.
- Volunteers must be able to speak and read English sufficiently to fulfill their volunteer assignment.
Choose an Area of Service to Volunteer
Volunteers will need to indicate their preferred department.
Complete an Application
SMCS Volunteer Services is currently not open for new applications. Please check back January 7th, 2019 for the online application for our February orientation. Thank you.
Interview with Volunteer Staff
After the prospective volunteer has submitted an application, the applicant will be contacted within 3-4 weeks by a member of the Volunteer Services staff to do an interview over the phone. The objective of the interview is to get general information about why the applicant would like to volunteer and to discuss availability. This interview will also give the applicant a chance to ask any additional questions they may have.
Once the interview has been completed, Volunteer Services will send out a referral form to the personal reference provided on the application. In addition, a Safety Review quiz and a Health Questionnaire will be provided for the applicant to fill out. Once we have received all paperwork back from the applicant and personal reference, the applicant will be invited to a Volunteer Orientation
Please note: This process can take up to 2-3 months.
Attend an Orientation
The orientations take about three hours from start to finish. At the orientation/training session you will receive information about SMCS volunteer requirements, infection control, universal precautions, confidentiality, hospital codes, medical/legal guidelines and fire safety.
You will be asked to provide the following health immunization records:
- 2 TB test results (one record must be no older than 90 days and one no older than 12 months) or Doctor's Note and/or Chest X-Ray
- 2 vaccination records for Measles, Mumps, Rubella (not required if DOB was before December of 1956)
- 2 vaccination records for Varicella (if you have not had chicken pox)
- Hepatitis B record (Required for High Risk Clinical Areas only)
There is a $20 participation fee for scrub top uniform the day of the orientation.
After orientation and completed your health clearance, you will be issued a photo ID badge and be ready to start your volunteer work.