For the best results and to prevent the need to cancel or reschedule your appointment, please follow your Sutter Maternity & Surgery Center of Santa Cruz doctor's instructions.
What to Expect
You will be administered an IV containing sedative and pain medications to relax and assist you during the procedure. Because of this, you must arrange for a ride home.
You must arrive at your given location one hour before your scheduled procedure time.
For your safety, Sutter Health requires you to have someone drive you home after your procedure.
You are not permitted to take a taxi, operate any mode of transportation yourself, or use any public transportation to get home after the procedure. A responsible adult will need to drive you home and someone should stay with you for at least two hours to make sure there are no issues following the sedation or procedure.
You may also prearrange a ride with Lift Line (831-688-9663), Paracruz (831-425-4664) or Care from the Heart (831-476-8316). These companies have medical training in transporting patients.
Your procedure will be rescheduled if you do not have a prearranged responsible adult to take you home. If your prearranged ride fails to come when you are ready to be discharged, ambulance services will be arranged for you at your expense.
What to Discontinue Before Your Procedure
Your doctor's office will give you a list of instructions to help prepare you for your procedure. In general, the instructions will include things such as:
- Do not have anything to eat or drink, including water, for up to six hours before your procedure. You may brush your teeth, being careful not to swallow any liquid. Do not chew gum for at least two hours before your procedure. You are allowed to have small sips of water in order to take medications during the fasting period. Limit your intake of water to as little as necessary.
- Discontinue all aspirin, including baby aspirin, and Coumadin for at least five days prior to your procedure.
- Discontinue Plavix for seven days prior to your procedure.
- Discontinue Feldene (Piroxicam) for at least five days prior to your procedure.
- Discontinue all anti-inflammatory medications for at least two days prior to your procedure. This includes ibuprofen, Advil, Motrin, Aleve, Naprosyn, Daypro, Celebrex, Voltaren, Relafen, etc.
- Discontinue all blood thinners, gingko biloba, vitamin E, ginseng and St. John’s Wort seven days prior to the procedure.
- Tylenol (acetaminophen) does NOT have to be discontinued.
- Do NOT stop any other medications unless instructed by your doctor.
Preparing for your Procedure
- Please bathe or shower the day of your procedure to decrease the chance of skin contamination/infections at the procedure site.
- Please remove all jewelry before you arrive at Sutter Maternity & Surgery. This includes rings, necklaces, earrings and any body piercings.
- During your procedure, it is best NOT to talk to your doctor unless absolutely necessary as this may move your spine, making your procedure take longer and be less safe.
After the Procedure
Your doctor or nurse will give you specific instructions as to what to do after your procedure. In general, they will probably advise you to:
- Eat and drink normally immediately after the procedure.
- Resume Coumadin, aspirin or Plavix 24 hours after the procedure was completed.
- Rest the day of the procedure.
- Avoid strenuous activity for 48 hours following the procedure.
- Gradually resume normal physical activity and exercise on day three after your procedure.
- Wait until 12 hours post-procedure to shower.
- Remove bandage after 24 hours.
Possible Side Effects
Your doctor will inform you of any potential side effects, risks or adverse reactions. If you have questions, please contact your doctor’s office. If you experience problems after your procedure, please call your doctor immediately.
In the event you believe you are having an emergency, call 911 or go to the emergency room.