Frequently Asked Questions About Volunteering
Yes. Our Youth Volunteer program is for high school students 16 and 17 years old.
We on-board Youth Volunteers three times per year; Summer, Fall and Winter. Applications are available on March 1st, August 1st, and November 1st. Youth volunteers, much like adults, are interviewed before starting their assignment. We are looking for students who have a sense of service to their community, can function in a complex healthcare environment independently and are able to follow instructions.
Youth volunteers must be able to interact well with patients of all ages and have a willingness to help. High school students volunteer after school (4:00 pm – 7:00 pm), on the weekend (8:00 am – 12:00 pm, 12:00 pm – 4:00 pm, 4:00 pm – 8:00 pm), or various times through the summer and school breaks. Minimally youth volunteers are required to come once per week for 3–4 hours. We also ask for a one-year minimum commitment to our program. To be considered students must complete the application and meet other general volunteer requirements, including online training, health testing, etc.
For more information about the Mills-Peninsula Youth Volunteer Program, please call (650) 696-2465, option 2.
Youth volunteers will need to complete an online application during the months of March, August or November, and have a consent form signed by their parents and a counselor.
Attend a volunteer informational meeting. Informational meetings will be held weekly at different times during the month at Mills-Peninsula Medical Center in Burlingame. Please call (650) 696-2465 for more information.
For more information about the Auxiliary, call (650) 696-2465.
In addition to the personal reward of helping others, you qualify for the following benefits:
- Free parking during your hours of volunteer service
- Discounts at the Peninsula and Mills gift shops
- A 20% discount on any part of a hospital bill at Mills-Peninsula not covered by insurance
- Free annual flu shot
- An invitation to our annual volunteer recognition event
- Discounts on See's Candies
- A 20 percent discount on Mills-Peninsula's community education classes
- Volunteers must be at least 18. There is also a special program for high school students.
- You must be able to volunteer four hours at least once a week.
You may help us in the following areas:
- Patient and family contact
- Hospitality services
- Office and administrative work
- Transport and delivery services
Our greatest time of need is weekdays. However, evening and weekend volunteer assignments are available for some positions.