Minimum Requirements to be a Volunteer
- Volunteer must be at least 18 years of age.
- Volunteers agree to serve as a volunteer for a minimum period of 4 hours per week for 100 hours from the date service is started.
- Volunteers must be able to pass a criminal background check. Sutter Medical Center, Sacramento requires background checks for all employees and volunteers. The purpose of the background check process is to identify any felony or related misdemeanor criminal convictions that an individual may have. Applicants will be asked to complete a background check.
- Employee Health Clearance — Certain immunizations required. Please check our Health Clearance Requirements.
- Volunteers must be able to speak and read English sufficiently to fulfill their volunteer assignment.
Complete an Application
Please see the list of orientation dates under General Orientation Sessions: Apply first, interview, background, then orientation.
Interview with Volunteer Program
After the prospective volunteer has submitted an application, the applicant will be contacted within 3-4 weeks by a member of the Volunteer Services staff to do an interview over the phone. The objective of the interview is to get general information about why the applicant would like to volunteer and to discuss availability. This interview will also give the applicant a chance to ask any additional questions they may have.
Attend an Orientation
The orientations take about 4 hours from start to finish. At the orientation/training session you will receive information about SMCS volunteer requirements, infection control, universal precautions, confidentiality, hospital codes, medical/legal guidelines and fire safety.
Uniform for Volunteering:
- SMCS volunteer badge (Issued by appointment with Volunteer Program after attending orientation)
- Pair of tan or white or black pants (Must purchase on own)
- Closed-toe, non-skid sole, comfortable shoes (Must purchase on own)
After orientation and you have completed your health and background clearance, you will confirm your assignment and schedule. You will then be issued a photo ID badge and be ready to start your volunteer work.