Auxiliary membership is open to anyone age 18 and older and we have a special program available for high school students. We ask a for a minimum commitment of four hours per week and can arrange a schedule to fit your needs and lifestyle. Here are some of the opportunities available at Mills-Peninsula:
- Greet, direct and provide information to patients, families and visitors
- Support nursing and administrative staff as needed, such as clerical and administrative support
- Supply treatment rooms
- Keep waiting families informed
- Transport patients (e.g., provide pick-up/delivery services)
- Assist patients during discharge
- Visit patients, inquire about needs, concerns
- Act as cashier, perform store room work
Our Youth Volunteer program is for high school students 16 and 17 years old. We on-board Youth Volunteers three times per year: Summer, Fall and Winter. Applications are available on March 1, August 1 and November 1. Youth volunteers, much like adults, are interviewed before starting their assignment. We are looking for students who have a sense of service to their community, can function in a complex healthcare environment independently and are able to follow instructions.
Youth volunteers must be able to interact well with patients of all ages and have a willingness to help. High school students volunteer after school (4:00 pm - 7:00 pm), on the weekend (8:00 am - 12:00 pm, 12:00 pm - 4:00 pm, 4:00 pm - 8:00 pm) or various times throughout the summer and school breaks. Minimally, youth volunteers are required to come once per week for 3 to 4 hours. We also ask for a one-year minimum commitment to our program. To be considered, students must complete the application and meet other general volunteer requirements, including online training and health testing.
For more information about the Mills-Peninsula Youth Volunteer Program, please call (650) 696-2465, Option 2.
Youth volunteers will need to complete an online application during the months of March, August or November, and have a consent form signed by their parents and a counselor.
Benefits of Volunteering
As important members of Mills-Peninsula’s healthcare team, auxiliary members share many benefits:
- Hospital bill discount (on any balance not covered by insurance)
- Gift shop, community education and other discounts
- Free notary public service
- Free annual flu shots
- Auxilian appreciation events
- Private hospital room
- Annual tuberculosis test
Mills-Peninsula Medical Center, 5th Floor
1501 Trousdale Drive
Burlingame, CA 94010
(650) 696-2465, option 1