Minimum Requirements to be a Volunteer
- Volunteer must be at least 18 years of age.
- Volunteers agree to serve as a volunteer for a minimum period of 3 hours per week for 100 hours from the date service is started.
- Volunteers must be able to pass a criminal background check. Sutter Medical Center, Sacramento requires background checks for all employees and volunteers. The purpose of the background check process is to identify any felony or related misdemeanor criminal convictions that an individual may have. Applicants will be asked to complete a background check.
- Employee Health Clearance — Certain immunizations required. Please check our Health Clearance Requirements.
- Volunteers must be able to speak and read English sufficiently to fulfill their volunteer assignment.
Choose an Area of Service to Volunteer
Before applying to volunteer, please check our volunteer opportunities. Volunteers will need to indicate their preferred department based off this list.
Mandatory: Minimum of 100 hours in a department in need
After mandatory hours are completed, option to transition to department of choice based on availability. First choice area may not be available due to high volume and limited openings.
Complete an Application
Please see the list of orientation dates under General Orientation Sessions. After you have successfully signed up for an orientation you will be emailed the link to apply.
Interview with Volunteer Staff
After the prospective volunteer has submitted an application, the applicant will be contacted within 3-4 weeks by a member of the Volunteer Services staff to do an interview over the phone. The objective of the interview is to get general information about why the applicant would like to volunteer and to discuss availability. This interview will also give the applicant a chance to ask any additional questions they may have.
Once the interview has been completed, Volunteer Services will send out a referral form to the personal reference provided on the application. In addition, a Safety Review quiz will be provided for the applicant to fill out. Once we have received all paperwork back from the applicant and personal reference, the applicant will be invited to a Volunteer Orientation.
Attend an Orientation
The orientations take about two and a half hours from start to finish. At the orientation/training session you will receive information about SMCS volunteer requirements, infection control, universal precautions, confidentiality, hospital codes, medical/legal guidelines and fire safety.
Uniform for Volunteering:
- Volunteer scrub top – $20 (Must be paid by cash or check at the orientation)
- SMCS volunteer badge (Issued by appointment with Volunteer Services after attending orientation)
- Pair of tan or white pants (Must purchase on own)
- Pair of tennis shoes (Must purchase on own)
After orientation and you have completed your health and background clearance, you will confirm your assignment and schedule. You will then be issued a photo ID badge and be ready to start your volunteer work.