The first Amador County Hospital was built in 1876 and was located approximately where Highway 88 passes below today's Amador County Sheriff's Department. The large wood structure served as a shelter where the sick and the indigent elderly could receive some form of medical care.
Around the turn of the century, the need for better facilities sparked construction of the two-story brick and wood structure now referred to as the "old hospital." It served the county with a capacity of 40 beds. In 1944, the growing need for better facilities prompted changes, including the installation of an elevator.
That year also saw the start of planning for a new hospital. With the help of the federal and state governments under the Hill-Burton Act, financial aid was obtained. Construction on the new hospital began in 1950 and it opened to the public April 9, 1952. In 1972, the hosptal was updated with nearly $4 million in new construction, improvements and equipment. In June of 1990, new emergency, intensive care and radiology departments were completed.
Sutter Health began management services of the hospital during 1990. In 1993, the hospital affiliated with Sutter Health and officially changed its name to Sutter Amador Hospital.
As a result of the area's growth, changes in the way in which healthcare is delivered, and advances in medical diagnosis and treatment, the Sutter Amador Hospital site and facility were no longer adequate to meet the healthcare needs of Amador County's residents and businesses. An increasing volume of services, insufficient physical plant, inability to remodel cost-effectively and a need for larger outpatient and community service facilities are the major reasons the hospital board, working with Sutter Health leadership, developed the plan for the new hospital.
The current facility is more than just a larger building. The new hospital was built on a 20-acre site and includes many medical services in one easily accessible location. The new Sutter Amador Hospital opened on April 10, 2000.
Today, Sutter Amador Hospital is a 52-bed facility that serves a population of more than 40,000 area residents. It is fully accredited by The Joint Commission. The hospital provides its patients with highly personalized care, state-of-the-art medical technology and a knowledgeable, professional staff.
To continue meeting the needs of the community, site work began for Sutter Amador Hospital's multi-phase expansion project in 2005. The project included the addition of the Sutter Amador Outpatient Services Center to the hospital campus, which opened in 2007. The 48,000-square-foot center emphasizes outpatient and ambulatory care. The new building is home to state-of-the-art imaging services, radiology, diabetes services, women's services, pediatrics, endoscopies and infusions, and respiratory services.