Family planning choices are highly personal. Whether you are trying to get pregnant or avoid pregnancy, the gynecological and family planning specialists across the Sutter Health network can explain the many options available to you, and help you find a medical solution that meets your family planning needs.
To avoid pregnancy, oral contraceptives or birth control pills are a well known and commonly used family planning method, which has a very high success rate of preventing pregnancy when taken correctly. Your doctor will work with you to decide what’s best for your health and needs.
If you are trying to conceive, it’s important to get your body ready for pregnancy. Start eating a healthy diet full of fruits, vegetables and lean protein. Try to get regular exercise. It’s not too late to start exercising moderately and eating well. If you smoke, now is the time to quit. Also be sure to avoid alcohol and exposure to toxic substances.
Most important, schedule a preconception appointment with your doctor. Your doctor will prescribe prenatal vitamins, recommend a pap smear, and make sure your vaccines are current. You and your doctor can discuss any health problems you have, and whether you need special care during pregnancy.
If you are having difficulty conceiving, diagnostic tests can help pinpoint a cause, which may include hormone testing, a hysterosalpingogram or pelvic laparoscopy.
Abortion and Contraception
At Sutter Health, we support patients in their right to decide if or when to become pregnant. We provide safe and confidential care including the full range of complex family planning services:
- Abortion (medical and procedural)
- Analgesic and anesthesia options for all procedures
- Contraception for people with complex medical problems
- Contraceptive implants, including difficult insertions and removals
- Emergency contraception
- Hormonal and non-hormonal contraceptive methods
- Intra-uterine devices (IUDs), including difficult insertions and removals
- Management of early pregnancy loss/miscarriage
- Pregnancy of unknown location
- Pregnancy options counseling
- Tubal sterilization