Many people think of stroke as involving the brain, but actually strokes have just as much to do with the heart and vascular system. Any interruption to the blood flow through the arteries caused by a blockage, blood clot or hemorrhage can cause the brain to temporarily or permanently lose oxygen, destroying brain cells. This is called cerebrovascular disease, a broad category that includes stroke as well as carotid stenosis, vertebral and intracranial stenosis, aneurysms, and vascular malformations.
To correct blood flow issues, Sutter network surgeons perform a number of procedures and therapies, such as:
- Aneurysm coiling: This procedure corrects an aneurysm, a weakened blood vessel, near the brain.
- Carotid artery surgery: This minimally invasive procedure restore proper blood flow through the carotid arteries to the brain.
- Thrombolytic therapy: Typically used in emergency situations, this therapy uses drugs to dissolve blood clots.
Sutter care centers have comprehensive care for stroke and other cerebrovascular diseases. This starts with prevention efforts to reduce your risk factors and extends through emergency care and recovery services to lessen stroke impact. Our specialized Primary Stroke Centers, located throughout Northern California, have earned numerous awards, some of which include:
- Get With the Guidelines-Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award, the highest-level award for stroke care given by the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association.
- The Sutter Health network's Stroke Centers are certified by The Joint Commission. This is the first advanced-level certification program designed to recognize primary stroke centers that make exceptional efforts to foster better outcomes for stroke patients.
- Five-Star Rating for the Treatment of Stroke from Healthgrades.
- American Heart Association/American Stroke Association’s Gold Plus Award and Mission: Lifeline Gold Quality Achievement Award.
Our stroke center teams include highly trained doctors, surgeons, nurses and support staff dedicated to helping you and your family prevent, treat or recover from a stroke or other cerebrovascular event. Our high standards for immediate and comprehensive care, including full rehabilitation services, mean you have a much better chance of full recovery.
BE FAST to Spot a Stroke
With stroke, you need to BE FAST. Time is critical for a stroke victim. Each minute, two million brain cells die. Learn the signs of stroke, and use Sutter’s BE FAST materials to spread awareness.