Pelvic pain and urinary or bowel incontinence are common concerns, but there’s no reason to suffer in silence. Eden Medical Center doctors and physical therapists work together to create effective treatment plans to improve your symptoms.
We treat women and men with dysfunction of the pelvic floor muscles that help control areas responsible for sexual function and waste removal. When these areas are weak or overworked, you may experience symptoms such as urinary or fecal incontinence, increased urinary urgency or frequency, or pain in the pelvic region (abdominals, lower back, buttocks, tailbone, vagina, rectum, penis or testicles).
A specialized physical therapist, trained in pelvic floor rehabilitation, will
work with you to create an individualized treatment plan to restore the strength and
flexibility of your pelvic muscles, help with impaired sexual function, reduce chronic
pelvic pain and control urinary or bowel leakage. All sessions are conducted in a
private environment where you’ll learn to regain muscle control, decrease pain
and restore function.
Treatments may include the following:
- Education on the anatomy and function of pelvic floor muscles.
- Bladder and bowel retraining exercises and behavioral modification techniques.
- Manual therapy techniques.
- Therapeutic exercises to stretch, relax or strengthen muscles.
- Biofeedback to help you learn to identify and control your pelvic floor muscles.
- Electrical stimulation, which uses a gentle electrical current to contract your bladder or anal muscles.