Do you wish you had more than 15 minutes to ask your doctor questions? Would you like to connect with others who share your diagnosis or concerns? If so, a Shared Medical Appointment (SMA), where you receive healthcare in a relaxed group setting, may be just the right fit.
During these innovative, one- to three-hour meetings, you’ll receive face-to-face healthcare from doctors, nurses or medical staff in the company of others with similar issues, enabling you to learn and draw support from the group’s questions and comments. You’ll also be able to:
- Change or renew prescriptions
- Order tests or procedures and receive test results
- Discuss medications, treatment and surgery options
- Receive medical exams and screening tests privately, when needed
Although SMAs are longer and more comprehensive than a traditional medical visit, they are not more expensive. Your health insurance company will be billed as usual and any regular appointment co-payments will apply.
If you, like increasing numbers of patients, appreciate this unhurried approach to healthcare, ask your primary care doctor about joining an SMA. Depending on location, we offer SMAs for various health issues, including:
- Asthma (Childhood Asthma Check)
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Cardiac Risk Reduction
- Congestive Heart Failure
- Dermatology and Skin Cancer
- Diabetes (English and Spanish, Type 1 and Type 2)
- Mind/Body Medicine
- Newborn Well Check
- Pediatric Travel Counseling and Immunization
- Prenatal Care
- Psychiatric Medication Check
- Seniors in Transition
- Successful Aging: Mind, Body and Soul
- Vasectomy Consultation
- Weight Loss Surgery
Contact your primary care doctor to find out more about the practitioner, times and locations.