Sutter Medical Foundation offers a comprehensive and compassionate bariatric program designed to treat the disease of obesity and help patients attain the full, healthy and active lifestyle they desire. We view bariatric surgery as one step in your complete weight management journey.
Bariatric surgery can dramatically improve your health. It can help reduce the severity of many serious health conditions related to obesity, including high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol, type 2 diabetes, obstructive sleep apnea and back and joint problems. In fact, the American Diabetes Association recommends bariatric surgery as a treatment for morbidly obese people with poorly controlled type 2 diabetes. Yet from pre-surgery preparation to lifelong care after surgery, your success will require a significant lifestyle change. It also requires a strong network of people who understand the challenges involved.
The bariatric surgery programs in the Sutter Health network are designed to support you at every step of your weight loss journey. We offer:
- All the information you need to make the right decision about surgery.
- Guidance in pre-surgery preparation.
- Assistance in learning about your health plan coverage.
- Support in the crucial phase immediately after surgery.
- Support groups and medical monitoring in your lifelong adjustment to a new way of eating after surgery.
- Multidisciplinary teams and registered dietitians to guide you.
Our experienced surgical teams offer the latest in minimally invasive weight loss procedures using both robotic and laparoscopic techniques. The most commonly performed surgery is called a vertical sleeve gastrectomy (gastric sleeve), which decreases the size of your stomach. Other options include Roux-en-Y (gastric bypass) and single-anastomosis duodenal switch (SIPS).
The highly trained surgeons can also monitor and adjust or remove previously placed adjustable gastric bands. Complex revision surgeries or bariatric surgery for people who’ve had previous bariatric surgery are routinely performed. Your weight loss team will help you choose the best procedure to meet your health needs.
We are accredited as a Center of Excellence by the American College of Surgeons and the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP®). Highlights of our program include:
- Teams of bariatric experts, including surgeons with specialized training and years of experience working with severely overweight patients.
- Thorough expertise in treating obesity as a medical condition, its physical and psychological challenges, as well at associated disease risks.