Sutter Medical Foundation offers a comprehensive and compassionate bariatric program designed to treat the disease of obesity and help patients attain the full, healthy and active lifestyle they desire. We view bariatric surgery as one step in your complete weight management journey.
Bariatric surgery can dramatically improve your health. It can help reduce the severity of many serious health conditions related to obesity, including high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol, type 2 diabetes, obstructive sleep apnea and back and joint problems. In fact, the American Diabetes Association recommends bariatric surgery as a treatment for morbidly obese people with poorly controlled type 2 diabetes. Yet from pre-surgery preparation to lifelong care after surgery, your success will require a significant lifestyle change. It also requires a strong network of people who understand the challenges involved.
The bariatric surgery programs in the Sutter Health network are designed to support you at every step of your weight loss journey. We offer:
- All the information you need to make the right decision about surgery.
- Guidance in pre-surgery preparation.
- Assistance in learning about your health plan coverage.
- Support in the crucial phase immediately after surgery.
- Support groups and medical monitoring in your lifelong adjustment to a new way of eating after surgery.
- Multidisciplinary teams and registered dietitians to guide you.
Our experienced surgical teams offer the latest in minimally invasive weight loss procedures. The most commonly performed surgery, is called a vertical sleeve gastrectomy (gastric sleeve), which decreases the size of your stomach. Other options include Roux-en-Y (gastric bypass), laparoscopic adjustable band (lap band), adjustable gastric band, duodenal switch and gastric balloon insertion. Your weight loss team will help you choose the best procedure to meet your individual health needs.
Our bariatric surgery programs meet high standards for clinical quality. All of our hospitals are nationally accredited centers for bariatric surgery. Highlights of our programs include:
- Teams of bariatric experts, including surgeons with specialized training and years of experience working with severely overweight patients.
- Thorough expertise in treating obesity as a medical condition, its physical and psychological challenges, as well at associated disease risks.