Breast cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer among women, next to skin cancer, and a major focus of care at the Dorothy E. Schneider Cancer Center.
Our multidisciplinary breast cancer clinic provides comprehensive and coordinated care designed to meet your unique needs. If you are newly diagnosed with breast cancer, you will meet with all the specialists who will be involved in your care in one introductory visit.
During the visit, which lasts two hours, you meet with your surgeon, radiation oncologist, medical oncologist and plastic surgeon, if needed. Our advanced practice nurse navigator guides you through the experience. At the end, you receive a notebook, "My Personal Journey," outlining and explaining your treatment plan. Most important, the clinic offers reassurance and helps reduce anxiety at this very stressful time. After the clinic and throughout your care, our nurse navigator is your ally and advocate, helping you through treatment.
Our center offers the latest advances in breast cancer care, including:
- Radiation oncology — Specialized doctors use a dedicated CT scanner and 3-D imaging to target specific tumors, minimizing the exposure of healthy tissue. This technology allows a linear accelerator to tailor the beam of radiation on the cancer site, sparing nearby tissue. We also offer high-dose-rate radiation for early stage breast cancer, which reduces radiation treatment time from five or six weeks to five days. A state-of-the-art radiation therapy called brachytherapy allows us to place a radiation source inside the body, very near the tumor, to ensure highly targeted treatment.
- Medical oncology — Doctors who specialize in breast cancer plan your course of chemotherapy, hormone therapy and biologic targeted therapies. Your treatments depend, in part, on your type and stage of breast cancer.
- Surgical oncology — Surgeons who specialize in breast cancer use state-of-the-art technology to save breast tissue and spare skin during mastectomies or lumpectomies. They also work closely with plastic surgeons to achieve bilateral breast symmetry and optimal cosmetic outcomes with breast reconstruction.
- Symptom management — Our team of team of nurse specialists, dietitians, counselors and physical therapists will help you manage and reduce side effects from treatment and ease the symptoms of cancer.
- Nutrition services — Nutritionists help reduce symptoms such as nausea or dehydration and boost your appetite and energy.
- Support and counseling — We provide emotional counseling and referral to support groups for you and your family.
Throughout your treatment and follow-up care, we provide you with assistance in managing the emotional impact of breast cancer, answer your questions and direct you to resources.
We understand that breast cancer affects all the loved ones in your life. We work with you and your family, from diagnosis and treatment to survivorship, to ease anxiety and ensure you have the best possible outcome.