When a child receives a diabetes diagnosis, many parents feel overwhelmed. While there’s a lot for you, your child and your family to learn, Sutter Health can help. Our pediatric endocrinologists and the PENS Team (doctors who specialize in treating childhood diabetes) manage most of our children who are diabetics. Certified diabetes educators at Sutter Medical Foundation are here to provide you with a variety of educational services and support.
Certified diabetes educators at Sutter Medical Foundation will help you and your child learn:
- Where insulin comes from and how it helps the body process food.
- What happens when a child’s body makes too little or no insulin (type 1 diabetes) or cannot use insulin properly (type 2 diabetes).
- What supplies to keep on hand and where to get them.
- How to test and monitor a child’s blood sugar (blood glucose) levels.
- How what a child eats and drinks affects blood glucose levels.
- How to draw up and give insulin injections to infants and young children.
- How exercise affects blood sugar and how to manage insulin during exercise.
- How to identify and respond to high and low blood sugar (hyperglycemia and hypoglycemia).
- When to contact your healthcare team and when to get emergency care for your child.
- How to educate daycare providers and schools about diabetes care for your child.
- The importance of exercise and steps to keep children safe.
- How to deal with common problems, including sleepovers at friends’ homes, sick days, summer camps and vacations.
- Coping skills that help you and your child handle the emotional stress of diabetes.
Services Near You
3288 Bell Road
Auburn, CA 95603
8170 Laguna Blvd.
Elk Grove, CA 95758