Gynecology surgeons in the Sutter Health network offer minimally invasive gynecologic surgery for many conditions of the reproductive and urinary systems. These specially trained surgeons perform minimally invasive procedures for benign (noncancerous) conditions such as:
- Abnormal and heavy bleeding.
- Bladder repair.
- Endometriosis and pelvic pain.
- Ovarian cysts.
- Uterine fibroids.
Compared with traditional surgery, many minimally invasive gynecologic surgeries can be done on an outpatient basis and often offer additional benefits, such as:
- Smaller incisions, less pain and reduced blood loss.
- Lower risk of infection.
- Less scarring.
- Less recovery time.
- Lower cost.
- Better outcomes and a quicker return to daily activities.
Minimally invasive gynecologic surgeries and techniques offered at some Sutter sites include:
- Advanced laparoscopy, such as laparoscopic radiofrequency ablation, a less-invasive alternative to myomectomy or hysterectomy.
- Gender-affirming surgery.
- Hysteroscopy, which uses a lighted tube with a video camera (hysteroscope) to view the inside of the uterus. Narrow instruments can also be threaded through a channel in the hysteroscope to perform surgical operations.
- Robotic surgery.