At Mills-Peninsula Medical Center, stroke and neurovascular care are a top priority. Our certified Primary Stroke Center provides advanced neurodiagnostic, neurovascular and neurocritical care.
We offer a full range of advanced neurointerventional capabilities and other services including:
- Advanced imaging technology to quickly and accurately diagnose a stroke and determine the best treatment approach.
- Comprehensive surgical brain care including the latest interventional neuroradiology treatments, including stent retrievers that grab blood clots and suction them out while a stroke is in progress.
Our stroke program has been recognized for maintaining the highest standards of stroke care:
- Mills-Peninsula Medical Center was the first hospital in San Mateo County to earn accreditation as a Primary Stroke Center by The Joint Commission.
- Mills-Peninsula Medical Center is also designated a Thrombectomy Center in San Mateo County. This means we provide treatment for larger stroke issues.
- We received the Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association for consistently following national stroke treatment guidelines. We’ve also exceeded national benchmarks for stroke treatment with thrombolysis (tPA) treatment rates surpassing national averages.
We’re proud to offer:
- A Telestroke Program that allows people to be seen by doctors 24 hours a day. At night, when a doctor is not available in person, Telestroke uses video teleconferencing to connect local doctors with leading stroke care specialists.
- Advanced stroke rehabilitation that incorporates physical, occupational and speech therapies.
- A Mobile Stroke Unit that has an ambulance staffed with stroke specialists who can assess and begin treatment on a person experiencing a stroke even before they reach the emergency room.