If you’re experiencing the signs of a neurological problem, your primary care doctor may refer you to a neurologist for further evaluation. Depending on your symptoms, your neurologist may order a variety of tests to help diagnose your condition.
At Sutter East Bay Medical Foundation, our neurodiagnostic specialists utilize the full spectrum of neurodiagnostic tools so that you receive state-of-the-art diagnosis and eventually treatment for your condition, including:
- Electromyography and nerve conduction tests
- Electroencephalography, or EEG
- Epilepsy monitoring unit
- Sleep testing
- Evoked potential testing
- CT scan
- 1.5 tesla and 3 tesla MRI
- Functional MRI
- PET scan
- Diagnostic brain angiography
- DaT scan — An imaging test that verifies the reduction of dopamine in the brain to help doctors differentiate between essential tremor and parkinsonian syndromes
- Lumbar puncture, or spinal tap
- Neuropsychological testing
- Gait analysis
- Intrathecal baclofen test dose
In addition, neurodiagnostic specialists perform testing in surgical settings and monitors patients' neurological well-being during surgical procedures. Such tests play vital roles in the diagnosis and management of seizures, brain hemorrhage, stroke, head trauma, brain surgery, spinal injuries and neuromuscular causes of paralysis and sensory loss.
Across the network, our affiliate diagnostics laboratories are accredited by the American Board of Registered Electroencephalographic Technologists.