- Losing weight - If there is less pressure on the knee, there is less pain. One pound of weight loss is three fewer pounds of pressure on the knee (because of the surface area).
- Physical therapy - By strengthening muscles around the joint, you relieve pressure on the joint and may lessen pain.
- Hyaluronic acid injections - These work better and longer than cortisone. Usually requires three to five injections spaced apart weekly. This treatment works in 70 percent of cases, for up to one year.
- Supplements - Certain supplements offer some limited benefit (i.e., glucosamine & chondrontin).
- Oral medications - Over-the-counter medicines like Motrin or Aleve can be taken by most people on a daily basis (check with your doctor first).
- Acupuncture - Small studies have shown a limited benefit in pain relief from acupuncture.