Here are some strategies to consider when dealing with a picky eater:
- Continuously offer the child a variety of food choices even if they insist on eating a particular food. Often times it takes 8-10 times before a child accepts a new food. Provide praise when a child tries a new food.
- Establish regular meal and snack times. Young children benefit from routines. If your child wants to eat during non-scheduled times, be firm and reassure them that they will be able to eat at the next mealtime.
- Encourage other family members to set good examples by eating a variety of healthy foods.
- Prepare meals with interesting colors and textures that might motivate the child to try other foods.
- Sometimes keeping a food journal can be helpful in understanding a child's eating habits.