We all want relief from life’s stresses but don’t always have the right tools. You can develop skills to cope with life and find healthy ways to relax and feel better. Here are some tips.
Avoid Unhealthy Short-Term Strategies
Notice if you have fallen into negative patterns which may have started off as ways of comforting yourself, like obsessive online shopping, excessive social media use, watching too much TV, and mindless eating.
Be aware that bad habits may turn into addictions and diagnosable conditions requiring treatment and professional help. Smoking tobacco, drinking too much alcohol, illicit drug use, online gambling, binge or restricted eating, hoarding, and self-injury like cutting are all signs you are dealing with stress in unhealthy ways.
Develop Healthy Habits
Good coping strategies help us through the rough times and get us moving in the right direction. The following are signs that you are doing things that are helpful:
- You feel proud, accomplished, confident and productive
- You have positive thoughts about yourself, others and the world in general
- Your coping tools don’t result in wasted time, effort and money
- Your mindset is hopeful, without feelings of shame or guilt
- You feel more energized, present and effective
- Identify harmful coping behaviors and make a commitment to stop
- Set personal goals to achieve a healthy lifestyle and create a self-care plan
- Be consistent in using strategies to properly tackle minor and major stressors
- Recognize how you are responding to uneasiness, minor annoyances, restlessness, boredom, isolation, disconnection, sadness, worrying, insecurities, and feeling overwhelmed.
You can call Sutter Health EAP at (800) 477-2258. We provide employees and family members with referrals to licensed, professional therapists who can help you with gaining awareness, reaching goals and changing behaviors. We also provide referrals for caregiving, legal and financial resources. The services are free and confidential.
Contact Sutter Health EAP
If you’d like to improve your life in any area or have other issues that hold you back from being your best, let us help you. Sutter EAP has professional licensed and experienced therapists available to serve your needs.
For information or to schedule an appointment call (800) 477-2258 or complete a Service Request Form.