More than 11,000 babies are born each day in the United States — and that number is rising. According to state projections, by 2013, more than 10,000 babies will be born annually in San Mateo County. While providing expert care for our current mothers and babies, Mills-Peninsula’s Family Birth Center must also look to the future and prepare to meet the escalating demand for maternity and birth services.
Currently, more babies are born each year at Mills-Peninsula’s Family Birth Center than at any other San Mateo County hospital. Each year, those 1,900 babies are welcomed to the world in a family-friendly, high-tech environment designed to make our patient moms feel comfortable and secure throughout labor, delivery and recovery, and to facilitate bonding between mother and child.
The new Mills-Peninsula Medical Center Family Birth Center expansion includes:
- 24 spacious, private Labor/Delivery/Recovery/Postpartum (LDRP) rooms with sleeping accommodations for family
- Six neonatal ICU semi-private rooms with sleeping chairs for moms
- Two cesarean operating suites with upgraded anesthesia equipment
- Three nurses’ stations
- An expanded nursery
- An outdoor patio area — exclusive to the Family Birth Center — for mothers, families and visitors to enjoy 100 percent fresh air
- 24-hour room service with meals cooked to order
- State-of-the-art security for mothers and newborns
In addition to major equipment purchases, the new Family Birth Center must acquire new incubators, LED neo-blue phototherapy lights to treat jaundice, birthing beds, an ultrasound machine, reclining exam tables and wireless telemetry devices that allow mothers in labor to be mobile without causing any disruption to the monitoring of their babies’ heartbeats.
Your generous gift ensures that our Family Birth Center continues to send home healthy and happy mothers and babies. When you invest in the Family Birth Center, you invest directly in the next generation. Gifts may be made over time.