Proactive Health for South Asians
South Asians experience more heart disease and diabetes than most other ethnic groups. At Palo Alto Medical Foundation, a group of doctors, dietitians and community members developed PRANA: PRevention and AwareNess for South Asians. This wellness program provides information on early screenings, health education and lifestyle changes to help you and other South Asians live longer, healthier lives.
PRANA resources include:
- Doctors experienced in treating people of South Asian origin.
- My Health Online, an e-health service that lets you view key components of your PAMF electronic health record and track test results for blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol, as well as receive e-mail messages from your doctors.
- Nutritionists who have extensive experience with common risk factors in South Asians, such as high cholesterol, diabetes and metabolic syndrome.
- Health education classes on topics including high cholesterol, high blood pressure, pre-diabetes and diabetes.
- Free community lectures at several Sutter health centers.