- Avoid eating at buffets or all-you-can eat restaurants (temptation to overeat).
- Limit meals eaten out to one to two per week (all meals included).
- Limit desserts to special occasions only.
- Avoid eating large meals late at night ( 9 p.m. or later).
- Order a half-plate if they offer it. If this isn’t offered, split an entrée with a companion or doggie-bag half of it.
- Don’t feel you must order combination meals or complete dinners with soup/salad.
- Creative ordering:
- Dinner salad + shrimp cocktail
- Cup soup and 1/2 sandwich
- Vegetable curry + naan or chapatti
- Order the lunch menu if they allow it (smaller portions).
- Avoid ordering appetizers, desserts and specialty drinks with meals:
- They just boost calories
- Instead, have a light meal of an appetizer or split dessert and tea to socialize
- Avoid ordering things that sound decadent:
- Rich, creamy, crunchy, crispy, buttery
- Avoid ordering large sizes: get the smallest size they offer.
- Social, family and religious gatherings occur frequently and should not be an excuse to abandon reasonable limits and portions.
- If trying to lose weight or for blood sugar control, pass on the dessert and have sparkling mineral water or plain hot tea instead.
- Be the trend-setter who brings lighter versions of favorites to parties/events.
Look up prescription and over-the-counter drug information.
Look up helpful health information.
See our full library of diseases and conditions.
Practical info for Sutter patients.
Online tools to help you make decisions about your health.