If you are overweight and at risk for developing diabetes, or have prediabetes or diabetes, reaching a healthy weight and following an active lifestyle are the best things you can do for your health. Studies show that losing even 5 percent of your weight helps prevent or delay diabetes in people at risk. For those with diabetes, weight loss can help manage blood glucose (blood sugar) and reduce the risk of other health problems.
Programs with Proven Success
At Sutter Medical Foundation, we offer a variety of weight management programs, including diabetes prevention programs based on the Group Lifestyle Balance Program®, developed by the University of Pittsburgh in conjunction with the Centers for Disease Control (CDC).
All of our weight loss programs provide group and individual support as you learn new skills and build new habits around eating and exercise.
Programs may include:
- Meal replacements products and or weight loss medications.
- Different diet plan options
- Medical monitoring
- Weekly classes
- Individual medical appointments with Registered Dietitians, Physicians, Nurse Practitioners or Physician Assistance with specialized training in diabetes and weight management.
- Weekly goal-setting for permanent behavior change.
- Support and ideas for physical activity and exercise.
- Support as you work to break old patterns and develop new, rewarding habits.
Some health insurance providers and employee benefit plans cover all or part of the costs of a weight loss program. Check with your employer and health insurance provider to find out about coverage.
Sutter Weigh for Life
This Sutter Weigh For Life 8 week weight loss class teaches strategies for a healthy lifestyle. It’s a comprehensive, safe and evidence-based program that can help you achieve permanent results. Our program is based on the diabetes prevention program and may also be beneficial to patients with pre-diabetes. Call (855) 720-7964 or (916) 774-8885 for more information or to register.
- Monday: 1:00 pm – 2:00 pm, 5:00 pm – 6:00 pm
- Tuesday: 5:00 pm – 6:00 pm
- Wednesday: 12:30 pm – 1:30 pm
- Thursday: 5:00 pm – 6:00 pm, 6:30 pm – 7:30 pm
- Friday: 12:30 pm – 1:30 pm
Weight Loss Surgery
If you have type 2 diabetes and are overweight or obese, bariatric (weight loss) surgery may be an effective treatment option. A growing body of evidence shows that surgery can substantially improve diabetes and other obesity-related conditions. Recent position statements from the American Diabetes Association and American Association of clinical endocrinologist support the treatment of diabetes with bariatric surgery for individuals with hard to control diabetes and obesity.
But bariatric surgery is not right for everyone with type 2 diabetes. It’s important to talk to your doctor about the risk and possible complications. If you and your doctor feel you may be a candidate, Sutter Medical Foundation has comprehensive bariatric surgery programs conveniently located near you. Learn more about bariatric surgery in the Sutter Health network.
Bariatric Support Group
For class information or to make an appointment to see a diabetes educator, please call (916) 774-8885 or (877) 899-8766 toll free.
- Virtually offered on the First Tuesday of the month from 6:00 pm – 7:00 pm. Please call patient education department for the current link and upcoming topics.
Services Near You
3288 Bell Road
Auburn, CA 95603
8170 Laguna Blvd.
Elk Grove, CA 95758
2951 Benefit Way
Sacramento, CA 95834