For a child, hearing and speech are essential tools for learning, playing and developing social skills. So, if your child has a congenital hearing loss present at birth, it’s natural to worry about her well-being. Specialists and care teams in the Sutter Health network can help you determine if your child has hearing loss, its extent and the best course of treatment.
Congenital hearing loss can be caused by many factors, including:
- Infections during pregnancy (German measles, toxoplasmosis and cytomegalovirus)
- Ototoxic medication used during pregnancy
- Birth complications
- Disorder of the brain or nervous system
- Genetic syndromes, such as Ushers, Down's and Waardenburg's syndromes
- Family history of hearing loss