Energy therapies are based on the belief that a vital life energy flows through and around your body. The goal of energy therapy is to unblock the flow of energy and restore energetic balance. Based on ancient healing traditions from Asia, energy therapies are now well-established throughout the world as techniques for easing pain, reducing anxiety and combating side effects of cancer treatment.
Energy work is meant to be a complementary therapy, used in conjunction with, but not as a replacement for conventional medical treatment.
Sutter’s Institute for Health & Healing offers a variety of energy therapy services, including:
- Acupressure, part of Traditional Chinese Medicine, uses the same energy meridians and pressure points as acupuncture, but using fingers and elbows — rather than needles — to apply pressure.
- Craniosacral therapy uses a soft touch to release energy restrictions in the craniosacral system, made up of the membranes and cerebrospinal fluid that surround the brain and spinal cord.
- Jin Shin Jyutsu energy work, based on the principles of acupuncture, seeks to restore the energy flow in your body along energy meridians.
- Healing touch therapy uses gentle, non-invasive touch to restore balance and health to the energy system. It can be used to relieve anxiety and control pain.
- Reiki energy therapy, which originated in Japan, is based on the principle that a trained Reiki therapist can channel energy into a person through touch. This energetic healing activates the body’s own natural healing process to restore physical and emotional well-being.
- Polarity therapy uses bodywork, counseling, nutritional healing and exercise to balance and heal the body’s energy system.