Stroke is the nation’s leading cause of adult disability, and can take a tremendous toll on your physical and emotional health. At the Sutter Medical Center, Sacramento, we provide expert emergency stroke care using advanced imaging technology to quickly and accurately diagnose a stroke and determine the best treatment approach. Our highly experienced team strives to provide the most innovative and sophisticated care possible to you and your family in a warm, caring environment.
Our comprehensive stroke program has earned:
- The Gold Seal of Approval™ from The Joint Commission as a Primary Stroke Center.
- Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award (2015) from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association's Get With The Guidelines® program.
We offer a full range of advanced stroke care services including:
- Advanced imaging technology to quickly and accurately diagnose a stroke and determine the best treatment approach.
- Access to surgeons skilled at using microsurgery to clip aneurysms, and interventional neuroradiologists who can treat aneurysms through endovascular coiling techniques.
- Continuous monitoring of stroke patients, as well as full-service intensive care units for patients requiring a higher level of care.
- Access to clot-dissolving medications, antithrombotics and anticoagulation therapies.
- Use of Gamma Knife Radiosurgery technology to treat arteriovenous malformations causing hemorrhagic stroke.
- Advanced stroke rehabilitation, including outpatient services and CARF-accredited acute inpatient rehabilitation at the Sutter Rehabilitation Institute in Roseville.
- Access to clinical trials at the Sutter Institute for Medical Research to test new diagnostic tools, medications, medical devices and prevention strategies for stroke.
- Community stroke education and screening programs to stop strokes before they occur.
- Stroke support groups, smoking cessation classes and other support services are also offered with the goal of helping patients achieve a positive outcome.
Stroke Care and Recovery
Quick treatment and a clear path to recovery can mean all the difference after a stroke. Our Continuum of Care Infographic illustrates the potential paths of recovery most patients face when first receiving care and recovering from a stroke.