All patients start their program at one of our educational seminars. If you’ve been referred by a doctor, you’ll need to attend a seminar prior to your consultation. You can also attend if you don’t have a referral, but are interested in the program. At the seminars, we review the disease of obesity, the role of surgery and all the steps necessary to begin your program.
Due to COVID-19 we are moving our in-person monthly educational and support group meetings to a digital format.
The bariatric surgery program at Sutter Pacific Medical Foundation is designed to support you at every step of your weight loss journey. Our team will provide information to help you make a decision about surgery, and we have a dedicated bariatric clinic to help you prepare for surgery and support you after your procedure.
Bariatric surgery can dramatically improve your health by helping reduce the severity of many serious health conditions related to obesity. Some conditions often linked to obesity include high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol, type 2 diabetes, obstructive sleep apnea and back and joint problems. In fact, the American Diabetes Association recommends bariatric surgery as a treatment for morbidly obese people with poorly controlled type 2 diabetes.
The bariatric surgery program at Sutter Pacific Medical Foundation meets the highest standard for clinical quality and are performed at Comprehensive Centers accredited by the MBSAQIP. We offer the latest in minimally invasive laparoscopic and robotic weight loss procedures such as Roux-en-Y gastric bypass, vertical sleeve gastrectomy and adjustable gastric band. Your weight loss team will help you choose the best procedure for your individual health needs.
Be aware that from pre-surgery preparation to lifelong care after surgery, your success will require significant lifestyle changes. It also requires a strong network of people who understand the challenges involved.
Our bariatric surgery programs and surgeons meet the highest standards for clinical quality. Highlights of our programs include:
- Surgeons with specialized training and many years of experience working with severely overweight patients.
- Thorough expertise in treating obesity as a medical condition, its physical and psychological challenges, as well at associated disease risks.
- Participation in the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program, which requires a rigorous peer review to ensure that we maintain optimum physical resources, human resources and standards of practice. As part of this program, we must report our outcomes to the MBSAQIP database.
- The Bariatric Surgery Excellence Award™ from Healthgrades for CPMC, where we perform many bariatric surgeries. This quality award recognizes hospitals for superior bariatric surgery outcomes including a lower risk of patients experiencing a complication during their hospital stay.
- Dr. Jossart and CPMC are recognized as a Center of Excellence by Aetna, Cigna, United Health Care, and The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. CPMC is the only hospital with a comprehensive Center of Excellence status with the ASMBS and these organizations. CPMC also has Center of Medical Experience status with Blue Cross.