After experiencing an amputation of an arm or leg, you may need additional training which may be best provided at an acute rehabilitation setting. The Sutter Rehabilitation Institute is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) for adhering to the highest industry standards of excellence.
Our Approach to Amputation Rehabilitation
We understand how challenging it is to recover from the loss of an arm or leg, whether it is a result of a traumatic event such as a motor vehicle accident or a non-traumatic illness related to diabetes or heart disease. We know that your goal is to return to an active life as quickly as possible—and we provide advanced specialty rehabilitation to help you do just that.
Our Amputee Specialty Team
Our team includes specialty trained therapists and certified rehabilitation registered nurses who focus on healing your surgical wound and helping you regain safe movement and self-care such as bathing and dressing. Our board-certified rehabilitation doctors have experience in caring for people with amputations. Our therapists use equipment and techniques to help you regain strength to return to your home and community as quickly as possible. Your prosthetist is an important consultant to our team who will continue working with you as you adjust to your new limb. Our case manager and social worker will assist you with making arrangements to prepare you to go home and connect you with resources for transitioning back into your community.
Our Specialized Amputee Rehabilitation Services
- Training in wheelchair mobility, ambulation as able and self-care tasks
- Family and caregiver education, community resources and support group services
- Wheelchair-accessible van to take you into the community for practice and to have fun
- Multisurface outdoor therapy area to practice wheelchair mobility on all types of surfaces
- Supportive counseling for you and your family to assist you as you adjust to a new lifestyle
- An apartment where you and your family member can practice daily living—with support—before returning home
Why Choose Us?
Sutter Rehabilitation Institute is the only CARF-Accredited Amputation Specialty Program in northern California, and is one of only four accredited programs throughout the state.
What to Expect
Learn more about what you can expect during your Institute stay:
- Our Facility
- Recovery Is All About You
- What to Expect During Your Stay
- Rehabilitation Treatment Goals
- Policies and Visitor Information
- What to Bring With You
- Education and Support
- Patient Outcome Data (PDF) English | Spanish
To learn more about the Sutter Rehabilitation Institute, call (916) 878-2588 or (877) 870-2588 (toll free).