Chances are very good that you will meet a surgeon on the operating table at some point. In fact, one study suggests individuals may have an average of 9.2 surgeries in a lifetime.
SPMF has a Pre-Op Clinic that performs comprehensive pre-operative evaluations for all patients in San Francisco. We also provide specialty referrals for additional diagnostic evaluations for surgery clearance, if necessary. Some services include on-site x-rays, lab, evaluations and PCR COVID-19 testing.
We provide surgical services for a wide range of health needs, whether it is a gastric sleeve surgery to finally achieve an elusive weight-loss goal, a minimally invasive robotic hysterectomy surgery to treat ovarian cancer or a cochlear implant to help a deaf child hear.
Specialty surgeons in the Sutter Health network have been recognized for their skill and excellence by many judges of quality in healthcare. Here are a few highlights:
- CareChex — Ranked in the top 10 percent of California hospitals for excellence in neurological surgery
- Truven Health Analytics — Top 50 Cardiovascular Hospitals
- Healthgrades — Joint Replacement Excellence Award
- Joint Commission — Top Performer in Surgical Care
Whether the surgery you need is common or rare, surgeons across the Sutter Health network are certified in dozens of specialties. Here are some of the procedures, both common and highly specialized, available.
- Angioplasty and Atherectomy — To open arteries clogged with plaque, our cardiovascular surgeons perform hundreds of these procedures annually.
- Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery — For the one out of 10 patients who cannot be helped with angioplasty and stent placement, performed by cardiac surgeons.
- Lens and Cataract Surgery — To remove a cloudy area on the lens of the eye and, in most cases, replace your lens with an intraocular lens, performed by an eye surgeon.
- Joint Replacement — Replaces the knee, hip or shoulder, performed on patients as early as their 40s and 50s by orthopedic surgeons.
- Whipple Procedure — A highly specialized and complex surgical treatment for pancreatic cancer. Hepatobiliary surgeons at several Sutter sites are expert in Whipple surgeries.