If you’re diagnosed with cancer, you may feel worried and afraid—partly by the thought of undergoing chemotherapy or other uncomfortable drug therapies. But recent advancements have taken medical oncology to a whole new level. At CPMC’s Cancer Center, care teams offer education and support, as well as guidance on new, precision medicine options. We work closely with you and your cancer specialists to minimize or eliminate any side effects you may experience during treatment.
A medical oncologist, a doctor who specializes in treating cancer with medicine, heads up your cancer team. The Sutter Health network includes more than 130 medical oncology experts who work together with other specialists to diagnose, evaluate and treat cancer.
In addition to prescribing medications, your medical oncologist coordinates and oversees your medical care from the moment of diagnosis through survivorship by:
- Educating you and your family about your cancer and its stages of development.
- Discussing treatment options and making recommendations.
- Monitoring your treatment throughout the course of the disease.
- Staying abreast of emerging and challenging therapies.
- Directing you to promising clinical trials.
- Working with you to improve your quality of life through healing therapies and pain or symptom management.