If you're facing surgery, you want to work with a team of caring surgeons and staff who understand your concerns and will make you as comfortable as possible throughout your procedure and recovery. In the Sutter Health network, surgical teams have earned recognition for excellence in bariatric, cardiac, cardiovascular, gastroenterology, gastrointestinal, gynecologic, joint replacement, oncology, orthopedic and trauma surgeries.
We’re also leaders in surgical innovation. In 2015, kidney transplant surgeons performed the first six-way kidney transplant swap in California. A neurosurgeon in the Sutter Health network helped develop the technique for a new minimally invasive surgery for neck pain; and an ear, nose and throat specialist in the network helped fine-tune a less-invasive procedure to treat surfer’s ear. Our nurse navigators help many people through treatment and recovery after surgery for key issues, such as cancer, joint replacement and weight loss surgery.
We strive to give you and your doctor the most advanced technology possible to ensure that you have the best possible outcome. We’re committed to investing in your health and in the future of surgery.
For example, we’ve invested in robotic surgery technology that lets surgeons remove just the kidney tumor in some people, rather than the entire kidney. When possible, we offer minimally invasive surgery using the latest laparoscopic techniques and robotic technology to reduce your recovery time and scarring. This allows surgeons to perform hysterectomy, gallbladder, bariatric and other surgeries with just one to five small incisions.
After your surgery, our nursing staff, physical therapists and other rehabilitation specialists provide comprehensive support services to help you get Back to Life (PDF) as quickly as possible.
To prepare for surgery at Sutter Medical Center Sacramento, please take a look through our patient handbook.
Committed to Patient Satisfaction
In addition to a pair of skilled hands to perform your operation, you want a safe and caring setting for your surgery. Our hospitals and 37 ambulatory surgery centers have earned some of the most coveted safety and patient satisfaction awards in the nation:
- Joint Commission Certification (Primary Stroke Center and Ventricular Assisted Device)
- Designated a Baby-Friendly Hospital by UNICEF and the WHO
- Atrial Heart Association GOLD accreditation
- MBSAQIP Comprehensive Level Accreditation for bariatric surgery
- Autologous and Allogeneic Blood and Marrow Transplantation Accreditation
- Accreditation Program for the Accreditation of Breast Centers Cellular Therapy
- Surgical Review Corporation Center of Excellence in Robotic Surgery
- Truven Health Analytics Top 15 Health System, Top 100 Hospital (2001-2002, 2013-2015), Top 50 Cardiovascular Hospital (2013 – 2017)
- Health Grades - America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Orthopedic Surgery Award 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, Joint Replacement Excellence Award 2016, 2017, 2018 Patient Safety Excellence Award 2017
- US News and World Report High Performing in Orthopedics, Knee & Hip Replacement 2015, 2016, 2017