Bariatric surgery can dramatically improve your health. It can help reduce the severity of many serious health conditions related to obesity, including high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol, type 2 diabetes, obstructive sleep apnea and back and joint problems. In fact, the American Diabetes Association recommends bariatric surgery as a treatment for morbidly obese people with poorly controlled type 2 diabetes. Yet from pre-surgery preparation to lifelong care after surgery, your success will require a significant lifestyle change. It also requires a strong network of people who understand the challenges involved.
The bariatric surgery programs in the Sutter Health network are designed to support you at every step of your weight loss journey. We offer:
- All the information you need to make the right decision about surgery.
- Guidance in pre-surgery preparation.
- Assistance in learning about your health plan coverage.
- Support in the crucial phase immediately after surgery.
- Support groups and medical monitoring in your lifelong adjustment to a new way of eating after surgery.
Our experienced surgical team offers the latest in minimally invasive, robotic and laparoscopic weight loss procedures. The two most commonly performed surgeries are the sleeve gastrectomy (vertical sleeve) and the Roux-en-Y gastric bypass.
The sleeve gastrectomy generates weight loss solely through gastric restriction (decreasing the size of your stomach) by removing approximately 85 percent of the stomach and producing a smaller banana-shaped stomach.
The gastric bypass surgery involves creating a small pouch for a stomach and also a food channel that bypasses the remainder of the stomach and a portion of the small intestine. Both techniques serve as a powerful support for the alteration of eating behavior. With compliance in our program, patients achieve optimum and sustained weight loss. Your weight loss team will help you choose the best procedure to meet your individual health needs.
Our bariatric surgery programs meet high standards for clinical quality. Highlights of our programs include:
- Alta Bates Summit Medical Center is a Comprehensive Center hospital, designated by the American College of Surgeon’s Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP).
- Teams of bariatric experts, including surgeons with specialized training and years of experience working with severely overweight patients.
- Thorough expertise in treating obesity as a medical condition, its physical and psychological challenges, as well at associated disease risks.
Please call (510) 869-8972 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions or would like to attend an introductory seminar about our weight loss surgery options.