When you’re recovering from a spinal cord injury, you want an exceptional medical team at your side to help you succeed. The Inpatient Spinal Cord Specialty Program at California Pacific Regional Rehabilitation Center gives you the care, support and encouragement you need to gain as much independence as possible and to build a new life.
The Inpatient Spinal Cord Specialty Program provides a coordinated rehabilitation process to address your needs from every angle. We focus on preventing further impairment from either traumatic or non-traumatic spinal cord dysfunction, increasing activity participation and improving your quality of life now and into the future.
Our transdisciplinary teams emphasize a personalized approach that focuses not only on physical care but also on your cognitive, emotional, behavioral and social well-being. We use wide-ranging medical management, therapeutic interventions, state-of-the-art technologies and complementary therapies to maximize your progress.
California Pacific Regional Rehabilitation Center offers a multi-level continuum of services for spinal cord injury rehabilitation, including:
- Patient-centered case management to ensure the most appropriate ongoing care plan.
- Family and caregiver training and education.
- Training in self-care, including use of assistive technologies and electronic aids.
- Individualized and group treatment activities.
- Practice in-facility “apartments” where you and a family member or caregiver can practice your care routine, with support, before going home.
- Balance and vestibular rehabilitation for people with vertigo, imbalance and dizziness.
- Bladder and bowel retraining.
- Spasticity management.
- Wheelchair mobility and ambulation training.
- Support groups and access to community resources.
- Supportive counseling for you and your family.
The Spinal Care Specialty Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF), signifying excellence in acute physical rehabilitation. Team highlights include:
- Program direction by a board-certified physiatrist who specializes in treating spinal cord injuries.
- Integrated occupational, physical, speech and respiratory therapy treatment team with special spinal cord injury training.
- Neuropsychologists with specialization in spinal cord injury.
- Initial transdisciplinary team evaluation.
- Hospital-based, 24-hour pharmacy, pulmonary, lab and diagnostic services.
- Comprehensive annual reviews with the physiatrist.
Spinal Cord Injury Team
Our transdisciplinary team approach for spinal cord rehabilitation includes such specialists as:
- Board-certified physiatrists
- Certified rehabilitation nurses
- Physical therapists
- Occupational therapists
- Speech and language pathologists
- Respiratory therapists
- Case managers
- Peer support
- Pastoral care