Finding the right doctor can help you lead a healthier, happier life. Across the Sutter Health network, internal medicine doctors, or internists, are primary care physicians (PCPs) committed to serving as long-term health partners for you. Internists focus on preventing, diagnosing and treating disorders—particularly those that affect internal systems.
Your internist can help you make lifestyle changes that will improve your overall health. Internists offer an extensive range of nonsurgical medical services including:
- Preventive care
- Physical exams and evaluations
- Management of chronic conditions
- Management of complex disorders
- Mental health evaluations
- Treatment of infectious diseases
- Geriatric care
HIV and Sexual Medicine
Our care center at CPMC Davies Campus in San Francisco offers services and treatment for patients with non-culturally-dominant sexual identities, sexual orientations, sexual behaviors, gender identities, gender orientations, gender expressions, relationship identities and relationship structures.
HIV Services includes:
- Testing, diagnosis and treatment of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs).
- HIV testing, diagnosis and care.
- Pre- and post-exposure prophylaxis for HIV prevention (PrEP and PEP).
- Testing and treatment for hepatitis C (HCV).
- Anal cancer screening.
- Treatment for anal warts and dysplasia.
- Vaccines against hepatitis A, hepatitis B, meningococcus and human papillomavirus (HPV).
Sexual Medicine includes medical treatment of sexual dysfunctions (problems with arousal, erection, orgasm, desire or sexual pain), HIV and all STIs, hypogonadism and menopause. We offer care for situations that may include:
- Problems with sexual functioning.
- Concerns about sex hormones.
- People whose gender, sexual interests or relationships are not mainstream.
In addition to providing long-term care, many internists have additional training in subspecialties such as gastroenterology and rheumatology. Some internists also offer an innovative new care model called shared medical appointments. Organized around conditions like diabetes or kidney disease, these groups offer the opportunity to get support from people going through similar health challenges while receiving medical advice at the same time.