Your child’s lungs are smaller and function differently than yours because they are still developing. And because your child’s immune system is also developing, respiratory infections in children are normal and very common. But fast or labored breathing, persistent coughing, wheezing, crackling sounds in the chest are all reasons to see a doctor.
The pediatric pulmonary specialists at CPMC can pinpoint the source of your child’s disorder and rule out other diseases using a range of diagnostic tests including imaging technologies and pediatric pulmonary function tests.
To find the right pediatric pulmonary doctor for your child, contact our Physician Referral team at (888) 637-2762.
CPMC’s Pediatric Pulmonary and Cystic Fibrosis Center offers a comprehensive team approach for patients with various types of lung diseases. Among the conditions we evaluate and treat:
- Chronic severe and/or progressive respiratory disease
- Congenital abnormalities requiring tracheostomies and ventilator support
- Cystic fibrosis
- Disordered control of breathing
- Neonatal breathing problems
- Premature infants with bronchoplumonary dysphagia
- Pulmonary fibrosis
- Pulmonary hypertension and chronic respiratory failure
- Obstructive sleep apnea
Our pulmonary-function laboratory offers state-of-the-art diagnostic testing for all types of lung and breathing disorders, including:
- Altitude challenge testing
- Biofeedback training for breathing control and airway clearance technique
- Asthma testing (bronchoprovocation)
- Lung transplant evaluation and referralBronchoscopy
- Control of ventilation testing
- Exercise testing
- Infant and pediatric pulmonary function testing
- Sleep study (polysomnography)