The Palo Alto Medical Foundation's nationally recognized Sports Medicine Department
treats athletes of all levels, from professional to recreational. Our department includes
full-time board-certified orthopedic surgeons, as well as a children’s sports
medicine specialist and a sports podiatrist.
We serve as team doctors for many Bay Area teams, including the San Jose Sharks, San Jose Earthquakes and Oakland Raiders. We also serve as consultants for the San Francisco Giants. Several Stanford University athletic teams and many local high schools and colleges receive care from PAMF Sports Medicine experts, as do thousands of recreational athletes throughout the area.
Doctors in our Sports Medicine Department work closely with local athletic trainers and physical therapists to make sure you receive high-quality care and rehabilitation after initial treatment. Our goal is to get you back in the game as soon as possible.
PAMF sports medicine department services are available at the Palo Alto, Los Altos, San Carlos and Sunnyvale care centers.
Our experienced sports medicine doctors include:
- Frank Chen, M.D. — has cared for several professional and collegiate teams, including the Golden State Warriors. He previously served on the medical staff of the Oakland Raiders, San Jose Earthquakes and USA National Rugby. He also takes care of many local high school and college athletes.
- Colin Eakin, M.D. — has cared for several professional and collegiate teams, including the San Francisco Giants and Stanford Men's Basketball. He also serves as a team physician for Palo Alto High School and St. Francis High School.
- Kier Ecklund, M.D — serves as the current Assistant Team MD for the San Jose Earthquakes. He has cared for many teams such as U.S Soccer, U.S Figure Skating, U.S Gymnastics and SAP Tennis Tournament. He has cared for local University teams which include Stanford football/basketball and Santa Clara University Soccer/Baseball/Basketball. He treats athletes from many Bay Area community colleges and high schools.
- Richard Gayle, M.D — serves as Chief Medical Officer and Head Team Physician for the San Jose Earthquakes, team physician for U.S Figure Skating. He has previously served as a team physician for U.S National Rugby Team and training camp physician for the Oakland Raiders.
- Sally Harris, M.D. — has served as the team physician for USA Women's Basketball Team and participates in the Volunteer Olympic Physician Program.
- Warren King, M.D. — serves as the chief of orthopedic surgery for the Oakland Raiders, and as assistant orthopedic surgeon for the San Jose Sharks. He has also served as a team physician for the Golden State Warriors. In addition, he is the chief orthopedic surgeon for the United States Rugby Organization and has provided medical coverage of several professional soccer events, including the World Cup.
- Amol Saxena, DMP — serves as a member of the USA Track and Field Sports Medicine medical staff. He has treated dozens of Olympians from around the world and numerous professional athletes from the Nike Oregon Project, Golden State Warriors, San Francisco Giants, San Francisco 49ers and San Jose Earthquakes.