Boost your mood with this colorful and nutritious Spring Beet Salad created by Sharon Meyer, Integrative Nutritionist at the Institute for Health & Healing. Ingredients include orange, red and purple beets, which contain betaine, a super nutrient that helps protect your cells and reduce environmental stress. Plus, this refreshing salad is loaded with inflammation-fighting leafy greens and topped with a tasty, easy-to-make dressing full of rich flavors. Garnish with your favorite edible flowers for an extra burst of color.
- 1 head of Boston or bib lettuces washed
- 1 romaine heart washed
- 1–2 endive
- 1 small radicchio
- 1 cup of arugula
- ½ cup of cilantro (stemmed)
- ½ cup of Italian parsley (flat-leaved parsley) stemmed
- 1 cup of microgreens
- 2–3 small beets (oranges, purple, red – use a mix of colors)
- 1 tbsp capers
- ½ cup of Feta (goat/sheep) or Parmesan
- ½ cup Kalamata olives
- Wash and dry well all the leaves and tear up into smaller bites. Slice the romaine heart.
- Destem the cilantro and parsley. (You can leave the smaller stems, but remove the tougher ones.)Roast the beets in a little oil at 350° for 25 mins.
- Thinly slice the cooked beets.
- Put all the ingredients on a large platter, except the microgreens. Add half the dressing and toss the salad. You may need to add more dressing.
- Add the microgreens, toss gently.
- 1 1/2 tsp of ground cumin
- 1 tsp honey (optional)
- 1 TBS warm water
- 1 clove garlic grated
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil EVOO + 1TBS
- ½ cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- In a small pan or saucepan gently heat 1TBS of olive oil and cumin for about 1 minute
- Add all the other dressing ingredients to bowl and whisk until well combined, then warmed cumin & 1TBS olive oil. Whisk all together for at least 3 minutes.
- Dijon Mustard
- 1 mashed anchovy
- ½ cup Parmesan or Pecorino Romano
- 1 heaped tablespoon of pesto
- 3 slices of bacon, crisped