PAMF’s financial counselors can help guide you through questions on health insurance coverage, billing policies and future treatment costs. They offer services including:
- Estimates for future treatments, co-pays, and deductibles based on diagnosis and chosen treatment modalities.
- Assistance with questions about billing policies, billing statements, and personal balance owed.
- Help with understanding insurance benefits and obligations.
- Assistance with completing important paperwork for patient assistance programs.
- Guidance through the appeals process if denial of coverage occurs.
- Aid the business office in resolving claims issues.
- Help patients who are underinsured or have no insurance find assistive resources.
- Help with applications for State Disability Insurance, Supplemental Security Income, Medi-Cal or Medicare when necessary.
- Help patients who meet the low-income or moderate-income requirements learn about financial assistance through PAMF.
There are several national and local organizations whose mission or charter involves helping cancer patients navigate different areas of their lives. Similarly, there are government programs for uninsured or underinsured cancer patients that allow for immediate enrollment in state health insurance plans. Some pharmaceutical companies also provide grants and assistance with the costs of medication.