Cancer challenges not only the body, but also the mind and spirit. Working in partnership with your care team of doctors and nurses, our medical/clinical social workers provide emotional support and guidance on a wide range of topics, from community resources and financial questions to Advance Health Care Directive counseling.
Our professionally trained medical/clinical social workers have earned their master's degree in social work (MSW) and specialize in applying clinical, advocacy and community-based skills to help cancer patients and their families. They can:
- Listen with compassion.
- Focus on identifying, building or enhancing your emotional strengths.
- Provide support to you, your family or caregivers.
- Identify and help arrange community resources, and work with doctors and other individuals to obtain necessary referrals.
- Refer patients, survivors and caregivers to support groups.
- Assist in crisis intervention, if and when needed, with solution-focused sessions.
- Discuss the emotional challenges of dealing with a potentially life-limiting illness, and make referrals to local mental health professionals.
- Help create a "road map" to manage a chronic illness and make healthy choices.
- Provide counseling on Advance Health Care Directives.
For more information contact:
Nina T. Garcia, LCSW
PAMF Cancer Care Services
Sunnyvale Center (301)
301 Old San Francisco Road
Sunnyvale, CA 94086
Phone: (408) 730-2800
Carla Gomez, LCSW
Clinical Social Worker, Medical Oncology/Hematology
Cancer Care Services
2850 Commercial Crossing
Santa Cruz, CA 95065