Group prenatal care, available at some Sutter locations, combines your regular prenatal checkups with additional time for learning and sharing with other pregnant women. Research has found this approach offers many health benefits, from increasing breastfeeding rates to reducing the rate of preterm deliveries.
Groups start after your first trimester. You’ll meet regularly with your healthcare provider and eight to 12 other women who are in the same stage of pregnancy as you. During the group sessions you’ll get to know the other mothers-to-be and have the opportunity to share your experiences and ask questions. Friendships formed during these sessions can last a lifetime. Partners are also welcome to join the group.
Other benefits include:
- Two-hour sessions with comprehensive education and discussion of issues surrounding your pregnancy.
- A chance to meet other women and couples at the same stage of pregnancy to share experiences with, learn from, and form a bond with that will last you until after you deliver.
- Comprehensive medical care and support.
- California Pacific Medical Center
- Palo Alto Medical Foundation
- Sutter Maternity & Surgery Center
- Sutter Davis Hospital
Talk to your obstetrician to learn more about group prenatal care.