Do you wish you had more than 15 minutes to discuss your medical needs? Would you like to connect with others who share your same concerns, diagnosis or desire to learn about preventive care and lifestyle education? If so, a Shared Medical Appointment (SMA), where you receive healthcare in a relaxed group setting, may be just the right fit.
During these innovative 90-minute group meetings, you’ll receive face-to-face, high-quality healthcare from our well-trained medical team in the company of others with similar interests and concerns. You’ll be empowered with comprehensive education and will be able to draw support from the group’s questions and comments.
If applicable during your SMA, you may be able to:
- Change or renew prescriptions.
- Order tests or procedures and receive test results.
- Discuss medications, treatment and surgery options.
- Receive medical exams and screening tests privately, when needed.
Although SMAs are longer and more comprehensive than a traditional medical visit, they aren’t more expensive. Your health insurance company will be billed as usual and any regular appointment co-payments will apply.
If you’re interested or would like additional information, please ask your primary care doctor about joining an SMA, or contact the SMA team directly at (888) 729-7174.
Palo Alto Medical Foundation offers SMAs for various health needs, including:
- Annual Medicare wellness (available in Spanish)
- Cardiac risk reduction/prevention and hypertension (available in Spanish)
- Chronic pain management and opioid use
- Dermatology and skin cancer
- Geriatrics, palliative care and successful aging
- Healthy lifestyle and holistic living
- Osteoporosis and low bone density
- Pediatric health
- Pediatric travel immunizations