Diabetes wasn’t in your plans, but you’re not alone. PAMF care centers offer a variety of classes focused on diabetes education. These classes show you how diabetes affects your body and how to control your diabetes with healthy eating, exercise and more. You can do a lot to help keep the disease from causing complications.
Whether you’ve recently been diagnosed with Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes or just want to know more, you can find a class that’s right for you in a group or small-group setting with opportunities for one-on-one advice.
Class types and topics may include:
- Understanding Type 2 diabetes and its risk factors.
- Pediatric Endocrine and Nutrition Services (PENS) for children and families to learn how to manage Type 1 diabetes.
- Blood sugar monitoring instruction.
- Recognition of and treatments for low blood sugar symptoms.
- Exercise and nutrition guidelines.
- Type 2 diabetes blood pressure management.
- Interpretation of Type 1 blood sugar patterns and making management decisions.
- Type 1 diabetes emergencies and sick-day management.
- How to prevent long-term complications.
- Stress and diabetes.
- Type 1 diabetes insulin therapy.
- Type 2 oral medication (and possibly insulin) therapy.