At Palo Alto Medical Foundation, we believe couples who are well informed have a more satisfying pregnancy, labor and delivery experience. Our medical experts have compiled a timeline of suggested classes to take during your pregnancy. These classes and support groups can help you prepare for childbirth, sharpen your parenting skills and boost your confidence as a new parent.
Your Pregnancy Test is Positive
- Prenatal Yoga — Teaches breathing and relaxation tips for an easier labor. Each class offers a check-in, a practice appropriate for pregnancy and a deep relaxation time.
- Meet Your Baby's Doctor — These events give new parents the opportunity to meet Palo Alto Medical Foundation pediatricians or family medicine doctors. Our doctors answer questions about what happens in the hospital, what to expect during the first couple of weeks at home and well-child visits.
- Child and Infant Safety — These classes provide parents, grandparents and caregivers important information on providing a safe environment for infants and dealing with emergencies.
- New Parenting Skills — Palo Alto Medical Foundation offers a variety of informational and hands-on classes for new parents, with topics such as infant care, behavior and development.
- Childbirth Preparation Classes — Learn about all aspects of childbirth, practice specific skills to cope with labor and delivery, receive information on the use of pain medication and learn about cesarean sections.
- Private In-Home Childbirth Instruction — Our private, in-home classes are taught by certified childbirth educators and individually tailored to prepare pregnant women, their partners or other support providers for the challenges of labor and birth.
- Online Childbirth and Breastfeeding Classes — For expectant parents who are unable to attend an onsite class, our self-paced online classes offer information about childbirth and breastfeeding.
- Breastfeeding — Our educators provide mothers and their partners with the strategies they need to get breastfeeding off to a solid start.
- Support Groups — Palo Alto Medical Foundation offers a variety of support groups for parents, such as breastfeeding, new parent and postpartum wellness groups.
Classes are offered in a variety of locations, making it easy to find a class near you. For more information or to register by phone, please call our Health Education Department:
- Fremont/Palo Alto/San Carlos: (650) 853-2960
- Mountain View/Sunnyvale: (650) 934-7373
- Santa Cruz: (831) 479-6628