THE 2021 APPLICATION CYCLE WILL BEGIN JANUARY 11, 2021 AND END MARCH 26, 2021.
About the Scholarship
Did you know that our doctors award annual scholarships to deserving high school students as part of our long-term commitment to supporting future generations of doctors?
Each year, the Palo Alto Foundation Medical Group (PAFMG) awards Pre-Med Scholarships to local high school seniors who will attend a four-year college and plan to pursue careers as doctors. The scholarship was started by Richard Babb, M.D., who was a gastroenterologist at PAMF’s Palo Alto Clinic. Since Dr. Babb started the program in 1993, we have awarded more than 70 scholarships to local students.
Scholarships are a total of $25,000, paid out over five years: four years of an undergraduate university and the first year of medical school.
To be considered for this scholarship, you must meet the following qualifications:
- Anticipate a career as a medical doctor and plan to take pre-medicine courses to prepare for medical school.
- Live in a geographic region served by the Palo Alto Medical Foundation: Alameda, Contra Costa, San Mateo, Santa Clara, and Santa Cruz counties
- Be in the top 20% of your senior class (verified by transcript)
- Demonstrate financial need (verified by supporting financial documentation)
- Complete the online application including a 1,000-word personal statement that explains why you are interested in medicine, including any relevant background and life experiences, and your need for financial assistance.
- Email the following supporting documents (in pdf format) to email@example.com
no later than the scholarship deadline. If possible, create and email a single PDF
with the naming convention “[First Name] [Last Name] – Supp” eg
“John Smith – Supp”. If sending separate PDFs, all documents should
be titled beginning with your first and last name.
- One letter of recommendation from a teacher or school guidance counselor
- High school grade transcript
- Copy of SAT and/or ACT transcripts (if applicable)
- Copy of Student Aid Report (SAR)/Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
Incomplete applications will not be considered for the scholarship.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.